Sunday, October 7, 2012

Making Words!

     This week's reading focused on the "Making Words" lesson. Before children begin to properly spell words correctly, they often invent their own way of spelling words.  This made me think of classrooms that I have observed in.  Last year, I was in a kindergarten classroom where the teacher always pushed for the correct spelling of words.  According to Clark's research in the article, children who invented their own spelling for words "were superior to the others on measures of word decoding...".  I was surprised by reading this at first, but when I thought about it, when children attempt to spell words, it shows that they have a clear understanding for recognizing what that word is, although they may lack the skills to spell it correctly.  Personally, I feel that invented spelling is a good way to encourage early readers/writers to express themselves.  The key is to use guided activities such as using Elkonin boxes with Reading Recovery.

Making Words seems like a great activity to use in the classroom.  This activity can be used in a variety of way by incorporating many different spelling patterns.  It not only teaches the child how to recognize patterns, but strengthens the child's ability to spell words.  As the teacher guides the child through the lesson, they may be able to spell words correctly that they previously did not know how.  In the article, an example used was asking the child to spell the three letter word "pie".  Many of the students immendiately put "pi" but realized that there was a silent "e".  By telling the students that it was a three letter word, many were able to chose from the remaining letters, and put the "e" at the end.

In the video below, a teacher guides her classroom through a Making Words lesson


  • Do you feel that the Making Words lesson would be a good tool to use in your future classroom? Why or why not?

5 comments:

  1. I think it would be a great tool for future classrooms! Not only does it get the students excited about the activity and working together but it also teaches important lifelong lessons. These kids can use the basics they've learned when reading difficult material in their future. I think it's a great tool all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely want to incorporate Making Words lessons into my lesson plans. I feel that this tool fosters "hands-on" learning and active participation. To reach our students, we must engage them. Last week, I observed a first grade classroom. The teacher engaged the students by teaching them physical motions to accompany each letter of the alphabet. The teacher played an alphabet song that also stated letter sounds and allowed moment in between each letter. This musical pause allowed students to transition their motions from one letter to the next and so on. I love that this teacher applied a kinesthetic teaching strategy to engage her students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree that you could implement this activity into lessons. I think that it would very good for learner knowledge to move from just head knowledge to actual understanding. Also providing context for these new words would allow students a much better chance or retaining knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Making Words is such a wonderful activity. I feel as if it is helpful in the fact that it breaks down larger words into smaller ones and allows the students to see how different letters are used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that making words is a great activity that I will definitely use in my future classroom. It's a very interactive tool that gets the children involved and learning. I think it's great that once students begin to develop spelling patterns using this game that it will be able to transfer to other new words the student encounters. It is definitely a very useful tool that will really help in our future student's successes.

    ReplyDelete